A leading aerospace company require an experienced Business Unit Manager to join their expanding team in Birmingham.
Business Unit Manager
Reporting to the Manufacturing Manager will have responsibility for managing the day-to-day Safety, Quality, Throughput and Cost for their department. In conjunction with the Manufacturing Manager, the position is responsible for maximising individual and plant-wide productivity, quality and technical skill development to ensure on-time shipments and customer satisfaction, as well as reducing variable costs. The focus of the role will be to execute the daily, weekly plans for the Business Unit, managing the manpower and other resources to carry them out in an efficient and productive manner. This is a pro-active as well as a reactive role. The role is an integral part of the Senior Management team
* Safety - Is accountable for Leading the HSE legislative requirements and actively driving incidents and accident reduction targets
* Quality - Is accountable for process control, standard work and reduced variation for the Business Unit
* Throughput - Accountable for the TOC $ Lines, Pieces and On-Time to Schedule for the Business Unit
* Staffing - Must Staff to the Throughput and Labour Plan (ESH Target, OT Plan, Holidays and Sickness absence management etc.)
* Daily work plans - Must achieve Quality and Throughput Goals, Targets & Expectations for the Business Unit.
* Daily Flex - Is accountable for the shift P&L
* Work Sampling - Must conduct 10 Counts & use Observation Skills to flex labour within the Business Unit.
* Frequent follow up - Must visit every process within operations throughout the shift and adjust plans accordingly. Must be visible and available.
* Is responsible for ensuring effective on Shift Communications & Shift Handover communication.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC DUTIES
· Is responsible for establishing and implementing a daily production plan and will be accountable for ensuring the plan is adhered to.
· Is responsible for reviewing and planning for daily, weekly, and quarterly labour, equipment, tooling and supply requirements to achieve business unit throughput while meeting and exceeding productivity targets.
· Will develop department priorities relating to plant requirements and communicate daily with supporting departments.
· Will lead the team in developing and implementing effective systems for improving internal and external quality, cost improvements and on-time delivery to the customer requirements.
· Will effectively collaborate with manufacturing engineering, quality engineering, and production supervision to achieve scrap, cost and safety requirements.
· Is accountable for ensuring the Shift Managers have been given clear expectations on daily targets and that these targets are achieved.
· Will be an effective leader and act in a manner that maintains a positive and productive work environment with customers, clients, co-workers and supervisors.
· Analyse variable labour costs daily, work with supervisors to determine required staffing levels and support labour re-allocation across the plant as required.
· Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating and appraising individual performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Is responsible for cross training to ensure the elimination of all skill gaps, resulting in a more skilled and adaptable workforce.
· Will identify and implement improvements in equipment utilisation, energy usage, product quality and labour efficiencies to achieve Daily Flex Targets.
· Will establish and control departmental budget.
· Is accountable for all aspects of HSE with the department, must continuously promote safe systems of work such as accident investigation, incident reporting and risk assessments, ensuring all corrective actions are closed out in a timely manner.
· Will use Process Improvement and Lean Manufacturing Tools such as SPC, FMEAs, 5S and Lean Sigma structured problem solving techniques to drive improvements.
· Disciplinary management up to and including dismissal.
· Is responsible for adherence to the company quality policy for the shift to include management of calibration systems, Non Standard event analysis, completion of audits, Corrective Action Report completion and communication of all issues to teams.
· Effectively communicate through the use of a range of reports including investigations, shift reports and assessments. Also communicate to all levels via presentations and briefings.
Salary: £65,000.00 to £75,000.00 /year
Please note, if your application is suitable, one of our consultants will call you within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful, however we will keep your CV on file to consider you for future opportunities.
ASC Connections is a leading recruitment business specialising within areas of Technical, Business and IT services. We operate as an Employment Business or an Employment Agency for all temporary and permanent roles respectively.