An exciting opportunity is available for an Operations Manager to join a growing company who are established within the Rail Industry, and are now looking for an Ops Manager to head up their Energy T&D side of the business. Located in Derbyshire, this well regarded company are offering an attractive salary and package for the right professional.
* Business Development of opportunities into the non-rail substation engineering space - which could be turnkey 11kV to 33kV substation builds, other commissioning packages of work, offshore substation packages of work, onshore. Clients could include DNO's directly, IDNO's, Private Networks operators, Building Asset owners (Hospitals, Universities, Housing Associations, Business Park Developers, Housing Developers, etc).
* Getting to BID status with a client. Essential that successful candidate has a network of contacts within target sectors and clients to enable opportunities to tender for work to be generated.
* Managing and physically producing any bid responses to clients. Obtaining internal support if required, but owning the receipt and subsequent submissions and leading the effort (and typically compiling all of the written responses).
* Upon winning the work, will initially project and operationally manage these new works through to successful completion, therefore will have a strong operational bias. It is likely that a suitable candidate will have a Distribution Engineering background who will appreciate the technical elements of building a substation or commissioning process for a client.
* Operationally lead and deliver projects won to financial, safety and programme requirements, using internal (and if required) subcontracted supply chain.
* As the non-rail work bank grows as result of successfully winning new work, the Ops Manager's remit will include building a team, including PM, QS, HSQE etc and field engineers, which will report to Ops Manager. The role will start off quite 'hands-on' until the first contracts are won, but the medium term aim is for the Ops Manager to build a non-rail team and division which he/she will lead, and recruit PM etc to take over the hands-on project delivery.
Challenges to the hire
* Hiring a pure BD person who isn't delivery focused could result in unobtainable profit/programme. Also, a pure BD person probably won't have the delivery and engineering expertise to deliver project in the early days before the division is large enough to justify the recruitment of a full-time Project Management team;
* Hiring a pure Operational person could result in no new projects won. In the first 3-6 months the Ops Manager's key output will developing bidding opportunities for non-rail work, and ultimately winning the company's first non-rail contracts. So, this person must be able to lead the BD charge AND deliver work won. As soon as the revenue generated by the non-rail division makes the recruitment of delivery team financially viable the Ops Manager can become less hands-on. It is not intended that the Ops Manager is permanently used a 'jack of all trades', but they must have the entrepreneurial drive and ability to participate in building the non-rail division from the ground up.
Some Benefits of working for my client
* Significant career development opportunity
* Access to Senior Management, so fast decision making meaning a more dynamic workplace and no frustrations with larger corporate bureaucracy
* Full access to the entire project lifecycle, so more comprehensive ownership of workbank hopefully increasing personal job satisfaction
* Opportunity to grow their own division from scratch, to shape and 'own' their own business within the company
If you are interested, please apply through this advert immediately.
Please note, if your application is suitable, one of our consultants will call you within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful, however we will keep your CV on file to consider you for future opportunities.
ASC Connections is a leading recruitment business specialising within areas of Technical, Business and IT services. We operate as an Employment Business or an Employment Agency for all temporary and permanent roles respectively.